Learn how to keep a
WordPress theme accessible.
The “Accessibility Ready” tag means that themes have been reviewed and tested by the WordPress Accessibility Team. It starts out accessible. Learn how to keep it accessible when you add content, styles, and plugins.
First, find an “accessibility ready” theme
In the backend select “Appearance”. A submenu will open up. Choose “Themes”.
“Add new theme”
Use the feature filter
Select “accessibility ready”
Accessibility ready themes are displayed
Search WordPress.com for “accessibility ready themes”
This lets you filter for All, Free, or Premium themes
and keep it accessible
- make sure everything is keyboard accessible
- make images accessible to people who can’t see them
- write link text that can stand alone
- customize read more links
- use headings to structure content
- choose contrasting colour combinations
- don’t rely on colour to show what you mean
- test that plugins don’t break accessibility